Sunday, September 18, 2005

What Can I Say?


Epps/Lowry 4mi

I took a slightly modified route through Lowry Park and tried to maintain a nice brisk (for me) pace. My time at the three-mile mark was 27:00. I had to slow down some for the last mile to catch my breath and I took some extra walk breaks, but overall I felt pretty good. Today it was the lungs that couldn’t hang with the legs.
I have to say that recently I’ve had a harder time keeping up with the writing that this project involves. This could just be laziness, but I think there may be a bit of writer’s block at work as well. The vasculature of my thoughts is not one hundred percent occluded, but it may be just a little sclerotic. Part of the problem, I think, has to do with my reading list. When I started this project, I was reading material that provided a constant source of ideas and inspiration about history, cartography, memory, etc. Lately I haven’t been reading as much, and some of the connections that I was able to make easily before have been a little harder to get to on my own.
There are several streams of thought that come and go through these runs, tributaries to the main current of ideas that often go nowhere. I’ve been thinking of running mock disaster scenarios to see what Tampa would look like under varying levels of storm surge, and I’ve been pre-occupied with zones of influence, visualizing a map of the areas in Tampa that have a view of the Sulphur Springs water tower. I want to see a map of the most flood prone areas of the city overlaid with the per capita concentration of Hummer ownership.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home