Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Popemobile Would Be Nice

Epps/Lowry 4mi

Fearing that my resolution may already be slipping away, I step out into the fading light armed with my headlamp and a few other “essentials”. Until recently I had done all of my shorter runs without carrying anything. No water, keys, or money. Not even an ID.
I’ve always held that I’m in very little danger on my runs because everyone knows that runners don’t carry anything with them. When I reached the point where I started needing water on my long runs I started taking my Camelback. This allowed me to bring a few other things along (cell phone, house key, ID). As the runs got longer I started to need sustenance and I added gel packs, Clif bars, and a few bucks for Gatorade along the way. Sometimes I even threw in a credit card just in case. If I bonked downtown I could just get a room.
What had started out as a kangaroo’s pocket was slowly calcifying into a turtle’s shell. My rig was making me slower, thus more vulnerable, and now I needed protection. Lacking the funds for a Derringer and an ankle holster, I opt for the only slightly wimpier can of pepper spray. If anyone makes fun of me I’ll mace them.
Originally I only carried this setup on my long runs. I still did my short neighborhood routes without support, but the more close encounters I had with dogs and other non-human assailants, the more I thought I’d really feel like an idiot for leaving the pepper spray at home when something did happen. I couldn’t just carry it in my hand though. I needed some place to put it. On went the hip pack. Since I’m wearing it I might as well throw a few things in it. Cell phone. Keys. ID. It wouldn’t hurt to take some water. Maybe I should just drive.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

redwood
redwood city
redwood credit union
redwood city ca real estate
redwood forest
redwood tree
gulf shores alabama
north shore
bay shore real estate
howard shore
gulf shores
dinah shore
jim shore
pauly shore
steroid
anabolic steroid
legal steroid
buy steroid
side effects of steroid
british dragon steroid
steroid for sale
anabolic
anabolic steroid
buy anabolic steroid
anabolic video
anabolic review
anabolic extreme
type of anabolic steroid
anabolic supplement
gulf shores al
bay shore
jersey shore
gulf shores condo
north shore animal league
north shore bank
south shore
arrowhead
arrowhead credit union
lake arrowhead
arrowhead water
lake arrowhead real estate
indian arrowhead
arrowhead pond
lake arrowhead ca
arrowhead mall
lake arrowhead resort
arrowhead stadium
arrowhead hospital
arrowhead regional medical center
lake arrowhead rental
arrowhead high school
lake arrowhead cabin
arrowhead mills

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vakantie
creme bouquet
bridal bouquets
wedding bouquets
led light bulbs
light bulbs
light bulb
creme bouquet flavoring
cookie bouquet
bridal bouquet
bulb light
bulb led light
bulb fluorescent light
bulb projector
flower bulbs
tulip bulbs
led bulbs
michigan bulb
wedding bouquet
carole bouquet
cookie bouquets
carole bouquet nude
bulb flower
bulb halogen
bulb led
bed bulb tanning
bulb light sylvania
bulb halogen light
bulb fluorescent
bulb tulip
address esis refresh spin
you spin me right round
spyderco
spyderco knives
netball
harpy
harpies
harpy eagle
lily allen
lily thai
alfie
enema
enema stories
spin doctor
toprol
oreck
narcotic anonymous
aaliyah cds
112 cds
cds g unit
black eyed pea cds
alicia key cds
b2k cds
barney cds
bjork cds
cds lionel richie
cds cinderella
elliott smith cds
urupt cds
the ramones cds
cds lfo
tiesto cds
cds spongebob
cds kittie
cds hootie
mystikal cds
afroman cds
mary kay
mary kay cosmetic
jared padalecki
jeweler kay

9:09 AM  
Blogger ankara said...

ankara nakliyat
ankara nakliyat
brülör servisi
baca gazı analizi
ankara dekorasyon şirketi
ankara boyacı
lazer epilasyon hakkında
lazer epilasyon bilgi
lazer epilasyon
lazerle epilasyon hakkında
lazer epilasyon
laser epilasyon
ankaralazer epilasyon
halı yıkama
halı yıkama
halı yıkama
halı yıkama
istanbul halı yıkama
ankara halı yıkama
koltuk yıkama
halı yıkama
halı yıkama
genel temizlik
dış cephe
dış cephe boyama
ankara boyacı
ankara dş cephe
çatı aktarma
ankara nakliyat

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home